See Downtown in a new light and take a self-guided tour of public art
UPDATE: Second weekend added! Friday, December 18th & Saturday, December 19th, 5-10 p.m.
Get ready for The Avenue Concept’s #TakeItOutsideRI self-guided public art tour. This is your chance to see Downtown in a different light – literally. The sun is going down earlier every night but we’re turning the lights on so you can enjoy all that our beautiful city has to offer. As part of Commerce Rhode Island’s Take It Outside initiative, we’re illuminating 11 of our murals and sculptures for two nights only: Friday, November 27 and Saturday, November 28 from 5-10 p.m.
Public art never closes. Exploring our collection of public art in Downtown Providence is a safe, socially distant and culturally enriching activity for your and your household. It’s the perfect way to experience world-class art – and perhaps visit some of our small local businesses along the way.
Our new app or browser assisted self-guided tour enables you to follow our suggested route or create your own path through this open-air art gallery. The app provides a wealth of information and content, including photos, videos and prompts to get you thinking about the art. You can also post your own photos and share the artworks you love most with friends.
Along the way we encourage you to support the merchants, restaurants and other businesses that make Downtown so vibrant. They need our help right now! Please consider picking up a few holiday purchases or making a reservation for dinner while you’re here. There are still many great options for dining both indoors and outside (heated, of course). With a little planning, you can enjoy a night on the town while staying safe and warm.
- Download the PocketSights app for your iPhone or Android device for the best experience, but the tour will also work on your web browser. Start here.
- Explore: The app has many features for your to explore. You can turn on voice navigation to guide you and post your own photos to the app.
- Share the love on social! Tag us (@avenuepvd on Twitter and Instagram, @TheAvenueConcept on Facebook) and use the hashtags #avenuepvd and #takeitoutsideri.
- Plan your trip: The walking tour takes a little over an hour if you want to see it all. Lights are on from 5-10pm.
- Find your spot: There are many good options for parking. Our tour starts in Memorial Park on the east side (providing the best view of our biggest mural), but parking is *free* for two hours in the Downtown area. (Look for the signs.)
- Grab a bite to eat. Restaurants are offering dine-in, as well as dinners, desserts and even drinks to go. (You can even mix and match: dinner from one place, desserts from another and cocktails for a third!) Here’s a great list of dining and drinking options from GoProvidence.
- Dress for the weather and grab a warm drink! There’s so much to explore and you’ll want to stay warm so you can experience it all.
- Share your experience. You can post on social media, tell your friends and family, and let business owners know that The Avenue Concept sent you. If you have any feedback, please email us at email@example.com.